Wednesday, June 1, 2011

The story of Rainbow...


Last month at Marcie's house, their hamsters had babies...a lot of babies about 16 babies! The day the hamsters were born I was invited to see them. Not so cute, they reminded me of tiny one inch pigs...hamsters are born with no hair just like mice@! Sort of yucky looking and I for sure did not want one. Ben bugged Jim and I everyday for about two weeks until we gave in and told him he could have one. We went to Cortez and purchased the cheapest hamster home we could find at $40! WOW, I was suprised at how much a hamster home costs! But it was cute and colorful and we were excited to get the hamster. The evening we came home from Cortez with the hamster home we went to Marcie's house but she wasn't home. I texted her and asked if she was on her way home. Ben about had a panic attack thinking he was going to have to wait a whole night to get the hamster the next day. Luckily for Ben, Marcie and her family came home and we went to pick out a hamster. It was fun and Ben decided to name the hamster Rainbow. I guess it had something to do with the stripe on his back. I didn't care if the hamster was a boy or girl as I was sure we were only going to have ONE. NO babies for us! The hamster was tiny and we couldn't tell if it was male parts or female parts anyway. So we took the hamster home. The next day was Saturday and Ben must have taken the hamster out of its home at least fifteen times. Rainbow even got away a few times and hid under the couch. Things were going well except that I thought Ben was taking Rainbow out too many times and that Rainbow's poop looked just like mice poop and I didn't like that too much. We gave Ben a lecture on how Rainbow needed to stay in his home at night so he could sleep but on Monday night Ben decided that Rainbow was going to sleep with him in his bed. So Ben proceeded to make a bed in his bed for Rainbow to sleep. Of course Jim and I had no clue Rainbow was going to sleep with Ben. In the morning Rainbow was gone...there were a lot of tears from Ben and loud yelling from me. Jim was at work...lucky for him! We looked and looked for Rainbow over the next few days but were unable to find him. I thought it would be a good time to pray and ask Jesus to help us find the hamster, so we did. The next morning Ben announced "Jesus has my hamster and won't give him back!" I guess that lesson went completely over his head, I tried to explain Jesus had nothing to do with his hamster being lost and that we were just asking him for help. I guess Jesus probably did know where the hamster was but Ben needed to learn his lesson. Jim suggested we get another hamster and I called Marcie, she had sold all hers to the pet store. I decided that I didn't want another hamster. Ben was sad on Thurday that week as I took him back to Marcie's from preschool. While he was at Marcie's, I decided to stop at the pet store and get another hamster, I took Rainbow II home and put him in the hamster home. Jim got off work early and called me about an hour later, he was at the pet store and was going to buy a hamster for Ben. They told him I had already been in earlier. So we had another hamster and told Ben Rainbow had come back. Friday came and Jim and Ben were going to go camping at the Fathers and sons outing. They were packing up things for camping and they found the original Rainbow in the hallway. They called me at work and told me that we had two hamsters...my worst nightmare, now I would have dozens and dozens of baby hamsters for sure! Rainbow was looking bad as he had not eaten or had water for about four days. Ben called me every ten minutes the rest of the afternoon telling me that Rainbow was going to die. He was a little puzzled about why we had two Rainbows. We had some explaining to do! I told him I would come home from work and take care of the Rainbows. Jim and Ben left to go camping. Unfornately when I got home Rainbow I was dead. I have to admit I was relieved that there would be no naked baby hamsters! Rainbow II has been fun and is even cute now! Ben has learned his lesson...no more sleeping with hamsters!

No comments: